Weightlifting, Weightdropping

Random fitness thoughts from the unfit.

Friday, November 11, 2005

Body Shape Update

When you exit the world of grotesquely out-of-shape and enter the world of the dismally out-of-shape, you undergo some mental and physical changes. Before changing my regiment, I imagined that there would come a point where I would start feeling better; when it would take me longer to feel tired, and the time I felt absolutely beat up would grow shorter. I am here to report that while the absolutely-beat-up period has been shortening, the immediately-tired stage comes just as immediate, but is taking up some of the beat-up’s time. Sure, I’ll take it, but I was looking forward to … less miserable time. Sure, the first time I went to FitCamp, my legs were not fully functional for four days. Now, I’m just whipped for two. While I am at camp, I feel stronger throughout the camp. My recovery time is shortening, so I do still have times when I pant uncontrollably like a dog, it does not signal the end of my running. (I think I walked most of the workout after the ten-minute mark the first week, the thirty-minute mark the second.)

There are also some hidden strengths that are coming out. At FitCamp, we do a number of workouts with the medicine ball. I have discovered that I have a cycloptic-like ability to hurl these boulders backward over my head. Twice as far as the second farthest thrower. This translates into my squatting less. When you weigh 310 pounds, it is all about the not-squatting. In addition, it seems that I can slam a medicine ball into the earth with such force that it bounces back into my waiting hands. If you remember what we just discussed, that translates, once again, into MORE NOT-SQUATTING. WOOHOO! The last time I was at FitCamp, near the end of a grueling “stations” workout, one of our tasks was to walk on our hands and toes, placing each hand in a space between rungs of a ladder. It was our last exercise, so by all rights, I should have not been able to hold myself up. Just the opposite happened. It was like a break for me. After performing miserably at every other event, I just busted it out like I was walking around on two feet.

I now find myself excited about where my body is going. One of the trainers told me that he was starting to notice a horseshoe shape in my triceps, which he should have, since I recently switch from doing dips on a helper-machine to doing dips on two bars. My coordination is improving, and the effort to maneuver my body has been reducing, thanks to my abdominal (core) workouts at FitCamp and Pilates. Your center seems to control the actions and the transitions from these actions to other actions throughout your body. Strengthening the core lets the rest of the body do less work by not making it overcompensate. I can also flex and crack my back. (Ewwww.) Still, when you drive for a living, it is a handy talent to have.

You go through some mental changes as well. All of these have been made as a direct effect of FitCamp. I believe that there are two reasons for the changes in my way of thinking. One, the immense effort I put in, and the ass beating I take home. There is NO way I am going to do this and feel THAT bad every week. There is NO way that I am going to go back every week and look THAT bad every week. In general, when I decided to start training, I understood that I was only competing with myself. Still, my ego can only take so much. Eventually, I am going to stop being the guy that makes every once else feel okay about themselves. (Unless I get paid.)

This is motivation for me to make sure I get to the gym, because what I do there during the week supports what I do at FitCamp, and vice versa. I do more cardio during the week; my logic is that I can hurt all at once on Saturday, or make hurt payments a portion a day, several days during the week. I also make healthier choices. I did not boycott bad eating all at once. I just seem to postpone junk food. Buffets are completely cut out. More often, it’s a sandwich over a burrito. Wheat pasta for regular. Stocking the house with food good for you, etc, etc. I have not quit eating junk food (CAUSE I AIN’T NO QUITTER, MAN). I just seem to postpone the times when I want a donut, or a burrito, or chips. The times in between junk food allowances just seems to be growing longer naturally. (My time between cocktails? Their mixing time, thank you.) You just start to think, “You’re doing so well. Let’s wait until tomorrow for hot Cheetos.” Sometimes, you forget by that time.

Tomorrow is another workout. This was meant to be a short entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home